Wednesday, March 25, 2009

New Stuff and a Regret

I've been a busy boy.

As I mentioned in the last blog, my wonderful, beautiful wife and I are having a little baby boy, so I've been preparing my house for the little bundle of Dave.

But that's boring stuff!

Here's what I've actually been up to:


And that's not all! (really, the above cartoon took 10 minutes, tops)

Special thanks to Leif Peng for providing the image I've used without permission. If you aren't reading his blog, Today's Inspiration, you should.

As I was saying, I've been doing stuff.

This last weekend, I laid out 3 pages of a Thing comic that a buddy of mine scripted (just for us and to flesh out the old portfolio). In addition to that monumental task (and, if you haven't learned by now, my accomplishing anything is monumental)I designed two characters for a possible ongoing submission by the same writer!! When we are a bit further along in our process, I'll post the drawings and (hopefully) completed pages.

The stars aligned and I actually accomplished something.

Life is good.

Which brings me to a regret.

There's a good friend of mine who also writes a blog that I happen to follow. 'Bout a year and a half ago, I petitioned him to let me illustrate a story he wrote. Long story short, I never completed the assignment and I've been upset about it ever since. He and I have talked about it and I've been forgiven, blah blah blah.

Maybe for peace of mind, I'll take another whack at it. To be honest, at the time, my skills weren't really up to the level his story demanded. Well, that's different now.

Who knows what the future could bring?

-Dave

Oops! I forgot to mention that the character designs and the Thing layouts were done completely on computer via Wacom. This was the first I've actually done that. Been thinking about it for ages, though. I have to say that I'll probably never do layouts with traditional pencil and paper ever again. Doing it with the Wacom saved me scan time, erasing time and gave me a level of compositional control that made me pee a little bit from excitement.

No comments: